I haven’t posted in almost a month. Up until recently, my spare time had been cut short. The irony of a photography degree is that most of the time you are researching and writing rather than taking pictures. I have been putting the final touches to my FMP, in which I used a Holga for a documentary project.
Between coursework and college I have been shooting acros 100 for #NEOPANtastic, which I’ll post on share week, and some poundland colour film for kicks. I am definitely a black and white photographer, however I have the c41 kit and the film is a pound a roll. To make it interesting I decided to push the film a stop, shooting it at 400.
The oly mju ii, like most compact film cameras, automatically sets the ISO via contacts inside the camera which read the chunky black and silver encoding on the side of the film canister known as the dx code. These electrical contacts can fooled by modifying a canisters dx code by scratching the black paint to reveal the metallic surface and by covering the metallic surface with black tape. Its better explained here, on the amazing 35mmc.com site.
The c41 kit I use is the BelliniFoto Monopart C41 Kit. It seems to develop expired agfa vista 200 (poundland film) with some success and its easy enough to use. I couldn’t find any guide lines about pushing film with the developer kit, but I read others had added 30′ seconds to 1 minute per each stop for other kits. I went with 1 minute extra to be on the safe side, changing the standard c41 development time of 3:15 to 4:15, and developed normally from then on.
The images look surprisingly fine with no crazy colour shifts, which contradicts images I have seen on lomography. The greens are muted, the yellows are fleeting but saturated, and the magenta is dominant. Pretty much the same as at box speed but with an increased amount of grain.
The pictures are not great, they were took for fun and mostly of family, and like I said I’m more of a black and white photographer. I am sharing these purely to show the outcome. The images were scanned with vuescan, with no edits.
It’s difficult to judge the results as I have not developed a fresh roll of the film at box speed with the BelliniFoto kit. However, the results are better than my expired examples and film lab developed examples from my flickr archive. All of this, plus an extra stop to help in varying lighting conditions. If anything, this just shows what modern film, a decent chemical kit and scanner can do. I would like to see what it looks like at el 800.
If you are interested in similar posts about abusing agfa vista 200 then you might like this post, which is on my main website, whereby I developed the film in Ilford Ilfosol 3. Another example of abusing cheap film is by Mr Irving, stand developing Kodacolor in rodinal.
Normal programming will commence from now till the end of summer with the usual “stuff I saw” series. Also hoping to show some different types of film too.